Beginning of construction work
Over a century the first start of the nagaragiri m.v noted
as inn of galkona. Later, in 1882 this was temporarily inaugurated in the
temple of kapoorakka. For that patronage is taken by a person called samarakoon
mudiyanselage Mr. mudiyanse. Therefore, he
is the founder of the school.
After that it is taken to the present place and started as a
boys school. The school land is donated by the adhikari family of hemmathagama.
By 1895, a teacher's quarts had built a permanent building.in
1940 it had a permanent building and two temporary buildings. The covering of
straw of their two temporary buildings was done by the village headmen’s of
nearby villages.
The old road way the steps and the apartment building was
the playground.in 1960 the building and laboratary had been erected in the area
where the playground was located. Also, the work of several buildings had
already been completed. At this stage, the existing playground and primary
section building has been started.
By the year 1974, the dental was built and by 1979, the
library building was been constructed, and it is currently used as office. By
1982, two more buildings and an old one-storey building by the year 1982, and a
new two-storey building by the time of 1997-02-28.on the 23-02-2009 the first
step of new three storey building way opened.
Education progress
Don Alwis was the first teacher to
become the Hemmathagama Boys School which was started by 11 students and two
teachers. In the
meantime, the number of students increased to 43 children. By 1922, the first teacher and
three sub-teachers were and 125 children had been educated.
By the year 1935, an English
teacher had arrived and the English teaching started. The staff board had a trained
teacher and instructed to start a senior class. By 1940 the number of students was 228. From 1951-11-01, it was
promoted to the Hemmathagama Junior School. it was initially at Hemmathagama Boys' School and later changed
as a mixed school. By
the year 1958, advanced level classes started. it was made Maha Vidyalaya on
february 02, 1958. By now, 12 teachers and 505 students are studying. Four students have been educated in
the Advanced Level class and all four have taught only one teacher. The teacher
was w.p Wickramapala. All
four students had access to universities. First of all, Y. Lakshman Wijenayake Rambukkana, I. Karunathilaka
Pattampitiya, Thilakaratne Narampampitiya and Sumanawathi have qualified to
university.
At this time, the teacher’s board
was junior and secondary. Later
it was consolidated and started a proud progress in the name of Nagaragiri Maha
Vidyalaya on 21.01.1971. By now the school had 46 teachers and 1187 students
had been educated.
At present, educational activities
are further expanded and there are aesthetic sections in dance, music and art.
They also hold Advanced Level
classes with Art, Commerce, science, mathematics and Technology. An internal call system is in
operation and in the course of the year 2004 Computer technical facilities also
have been received.